Resources & Referrals
How Do I Find Out Whether I Qualify for Free Legal Services?
Free legal services for qualified people are available from the National Legal Services Corporation (e.g., Legal Aid Society and Legal Services Foundation). People accused of a crime who cannot afford an attorney may request or apply for free help from the Public Defender's Office. If you think you qualify, you may request a referral to the Public Defender's Office when you make your first court appearance. For further information, you may contact the Public Defender's Office in Alameda County at: (510) 670-5086 in South County or (510) 268-7474 in North County.
Local Legal Aid Links
Other Useful Links
- Judicial Council
- California Administrative Office of the Courts - Dogbook
- California Administrative Office of the Courts, Center for Families, Children & the Courts
- Law Center For Families
- Public Interest Clearinghouse – California clearing house on public interest issues.
- Find Law - Free legal research on full range of legal issues.
- Foster Youth Alliance
- Alameda County Office of Education
- CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) of Alameda County
- Alameda County Independent Living Skills Program