How to get an Emergency Protective Order/Restraining Order
Click on the kind of restraining order you need:
Domestic Violence Restraining Order:
To get a Domestic Violence Restraining Order, you must fill out Domestic Violence Prevention forms. You can obtain them at the following locations:
For assistance in completing the forms:
- The Court Clerk's Office
- Alameda County Law Library in Oakland and Hayward
- Online at the Judicial Council's Forms page. (Choose "Domestic Violence" from the dropdown menu. Forms are available in English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese and Spanish, however the forms must be completed in English)
- Bookstores and print shops that carry legal forms
For additional information, read the Judicial Council information sheets:
- Call the hotline or referral line listed above for agencies in your area who may help you.
- You may also call a lawyer for legal advice or to represent you in Court by looking in the telephone book under "attorneys" or call the Alameda County Bar Association Lawyer Referral number at 510-893-7160.
- Read the Court's information page on completing restraining orders.